T: +44 (0) 20 3668 5614
F: +44 (0) 20 3668 5601
Madalina has a strong international litigation and arbitration practice specialising in commercial dispute resolution, energy and natural resources, international arbitration and civil fraud. Madalina also advises successful entrepreneurs in relation to white-collar crime matters with multi-jurisdictional ramifications involving extradition measures and claims at the European Court of Human Rights. Since she joined Withers in 2007, Madalina’s practice has focused on a wide range of issues including advising high net worth individuals, international families and their businesses in suitable structures and estate planning.
Madalina is also acting for individuals on reputation management, employment, property and art matters. Madalina has advised foreign investors on various privatisation and inward investment projects. She has also advised employers on complex international employment matters. Madalina’s experience covers both commercial and dispute resolution matters which enables her to spot potential issues before they occur where she is well placed to assist.
- Successfully represented OMV Petrom S.A. against Glencore International A.G. in a US $67 million High Court fraud dispute regarding the sale of crude oil in Romania in the mid-1990s. (This case was recognised as one of the Top 20 cases of 2015 to appear in the London Courts).
- Successfully represented an appeal brought by Glencore against the client in July 2016.
- Successfully representing the client at a further appeal in 2017 in which the Court of Appeal handed down a landmark judgment as to the Court’s powers to award enhanced interest for improper or unreasonable conduct on the part of a litigant.
- Acting as an arbitrator for the ICC in Paris and The Dispute Adjudication Board in Geneva in relation to construction disputes.
- Acting for the shipping arm of a State entity in connection with arbitration proceedings arising out of the breach of agency agreements.
- Advising high profile international families on the purchases of both landed estate and residential property in London, employment, tax structures, art and reputation management matters.
- Successfully representing a major Swiss oil trader at the Court of Appeal (having previously represented the client in the high Court against a larger trader based in Switzerland).
- Advising the Romanian State in relation to the recovery of its assets internationally in respect of over 100 enforcement matters.
Before joining Constantine Cannon, Ms Dumitrescu was a partner at Withers LLP for 10 years. She was previously at Ince & Co. Madalina was educated at University of Cambridge, University of Westminster and the Faculty of Law Bucharest.
On a personal note, Madalina used to play tennis professionally and represented Romania internationally. She now enjoys following tennis, Formula 1 and Polo.
Madalina also has a keen interest in art and has received a certificate from Sotheby’s Institute of Art in: History of Art, Part 1: Old Masters to the Rococo, History of Art, Part II: Classicism to post-impressionism and Art Business Today: Navigating a New Economic Environment.
- Solicitor, England & Wales
- Advocate, Member of the Bucharest Bar, Romania
The London office of Constantine Cannon is a separate and independent limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales (with registered number OC376384) with a registered office at 1 Paternoster Square, London EC4M 7DX. Constantine Cannon LLP in London is authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. The word "partner" denotes a member of Constantine Cannon LLP, or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications. The professional rules applicable to the firm are available at the SRA website at www.sra.org.uk/rules.