Sam is a Trainee Solicitor due to qualify in England and Wales in January 2021. He works across teams advising clients on competition law, antitrust damages claims and commercial litigation. Sam also assists teams representing clients in relation to art law matters and whistleblowers under reward programmes in the United States.
Prior to joining the firm in London, Sam was a Blue Book Trainee at the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Competition in Brussels, where he was involved in antitrust cases and investigations in the transport industry. He had previously gained experience at leading law firms in the CEE region, mainly in competition and corporate practices.
Sam has particular experience and interest in financial services, digital markets and transport among other sectors. In his academic writings, he explored cutting-edge topics, namely Google’s abuse of dominance in Search in 2016 and the conflict between EU state aid law and international investment arbitration in 2017.
- Assisted a team representing a large corporate client before the European Commission in connection with a complaint alleging anti-competitive practices in financial services across the EU.
- Assisting a team representing companies in antitrust litigation in the High Court involving multi-million claims.
- Assisted the European Commission’s team investigating an alleged abuse of dominance by a Czech rail carrier on a major commercial line in the Czech Republic.
- Assisted a team representing a client before the Czech competition authority in connection with a construction cartel involving a record fine imposed by the NCA.
- Assisted a team advising a client on a potential claim before the European Court of Human Rights arising out of litigation concerning a highway construction cartel in Slovakia. The case involved the highest fine imposed by the Slovak competition authority to date.
- Assisted a team representing multiple art dealers and collectors in judicial review challenging the Ivory Act 2018 before the High Court.
- Assisted a team advising a French vineyard on a potential defamation claim.
- Part of a team advising EMEA investors in relation to a potential investment arbitration dispute against a Central Asian country.
- Assisted team advising European investors in connection with a potential investment arbitration dispute against a South-East European country.
- Assisted a team advising clients on options under US whistleblower reward programmes in connection with alleged illegal activities involving virtual currencies.
- Part of a team acting in a debt recovery action.
BPP University, Legal Practice Course
BPP University, Graduate Diploma in Law
University College London (UCL), LLM (upper second class)
University of Groningen, LLB in International and European Law (first class)