Recent Keppel Settlement Makes FCPA Top-10 List
By the C|C Whistleblower Lawyer Team
As reported in FCPA Blog, the recent Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) settlement with Keppel Offshore & Marine Ltd. broke through the Top-10 list of FCPA settlements on record. The company was assessed criminal penalties amounting to $422 million for the bribes it made to officials at the Brazilian state-owned oil company Petrobras and to the then-governing political party in Brazil to win multiple Petrobras contracts. According to FCPA Blog, this places Keppel at Number 7 on the all-time hit list. Here is the remainder of the Blog’s Top-10 rankings:
1. Telia Company AB (Sweden): $965 million in 2017.
2. Siemens (Germany): $800 million in 2008.
3. VimpelCom (Holland) $795 million in 2016.
4. Alstom (France): $772 million in 2014.
5. KBR / Halliburton (United States): $579 million in 2009.
6. Teva Pharmaceutical (Israel): $519 million in 2016.
8. Och-Ziff (United States): $412 million in 2016.
9. BAE (UK): $400 million in 2010.
10. Total SA (France) $398 million in 2013.
According to FCPA Blog, falling off the listing is Alcoa which paid $384 million in 2014, leaving just two U.S.-based companies in the Top Ten – KBR/Halliburton at Number 5 and and Och-Ziff at Number 8.
Tagged in: FCPA,