Each December, Whistleblower Insider asks for its readers help to select the Whistleblower of the Year. We are interested in showcasing the individuals who best encapsulate the qualities of the typical whistleblower — courage, strength, integrity, selflessness and a deep concern for public health and safety. The winners are announced in February.
2017 Whistleblower of the Year: James Comey who resolved to speak truth to power and contributed to greater transparency in government.
- Joel Clement, scientist and former director of the Interior Department’s Office of Policy Analysis.
- Sanofi Aventis US, the US subsidiary of the French pharmaceutical giant.
- Susan Fowler, the former Uber engineer who wrote an explosive blog post describing rampant sexual harassment.
- Paradise Papers Whistleblower(s), the whistleblower(s) who shined a light on the widespread use of illicit offshore tax havens.
- Weinstein Whistleblowers, the many women who came forward.
2016 Whistleblower of the Year: Leanne Walters who has worked tirelessly to draw attention to the public-health crisis concerning contaminated drinking water in Flint, Michigan.
- Daniel Donovan, former Volkswagen employee.
- Shailene Woodley, actress/activist.
- The Roger Ailes Sexual Harassment Allegations Whistleblowers, the whistleblowers who alleged sexual harassment and misconduct.
- Yesenia Guitron and Judi Klosek, the whistleblowers who attempted to expose Wells Fargo.
2015 Whistleblower of the Year: Craig Watts, Perdue chicken farmer who helped expose the mistreatment of Perdue chickens by inviting animal welfare group Compassion in World Farming to film the conditions of his farm
- Aicha Elbasri, former spokesperson for the United Nations Mission in Darfur
- Yuliya and Vitaly Stepanov, Russian sports insiders
- Dr. Walter Tamosaitis, former manager at the Hanford nuclear site
- The VA whistleblowers, collection of healthcare providers at the VA Department
- Dr. Bennet Oamlu, NFL concussion whistleblower
2014 Whistleblower of the Year: Mary Willingham, former University of North Carolina educator who went public with the university’s failings in educating its student athletes (Read Whistleblower Insider’s exclusive interview with Willingham)
- Robert MacLean, former federal Air Marshal
- Shelly Doss, Washington River Protection Solutions for the Hanford Nuclear Reservation
- Alayne Fleischmann, JPMorgan
- Carmen Segarra, New York Federal Reserve Bank
2013 Whistleblower of the Year: Taylor Radig, who went undercover to collect footage of animal abuse at agribusiness company Quanah